An Anti-Inflammatory Diet Now is More Important Than Ever
An anti-inflammatory diet focuses on whole, plant-based foods that are rich in healthy fats and phytonutrients. Inflammation plays a role in every single health condition including heart disease, arthritis, cancer, and a WEAK IMMUNE SYSTEM! The foods that can decrease inflammation are widely considered part of a healthy diet that can also help you lose weight and decrease the amount of pressure on your joints.
6 anti-inflammatory foods to add to your diet to help stave off disease
1. Go fish! The omega-3 fatty acids in fish can help block the formation of compounds that cause inflammation in the body.
2. Pile up the produce! Eating a rainbow of fruits and vegetables ensures you get plenty of inflammation-fighting phytonutrients.
3. Go Nuts! From omega-3 fatty acids to fiber to L-arginine and magnesium, nuts are inflammation-fighting powerhouses.
4. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on everything. You know how ibuprofen can make a headache or a cranky back feel better? Olive oil is rich in phenolic compounds; one in particular called oleocanthal has similar anti-inflammatory properties to ibuprofen. Look for virgin or extra-virgin olive oil to ensure your oil has the maximum amount of these compounds.
5. Spice it up! Some of the best anti-inflammatory foods you can eat are already in your spice cabinet. Polyphenol compounds found in herbs and spices can disrupt the body’s inflammatory pathways, putting up a roadblock against inflammation. Curcumin, found in turmeric, is a particularly potent one.
6. Avoid a high-sugar, processed-food diet! High-sugar and high trans-fat foods are also problematic for inflammation. The biggest culprits are sugary drinks like soda, desserts, fried foods, and anything slathered with cheese or creamy sauces.